Is your iPhone screen having problems? If suddenly apps on your phone open on their own or icons move on their own without you even touching them, your iPhone most likely has a ghosting touch problem. So why does this happen and how to fix it? Today’s article will explain how to fix ghost touch on iPhone for you. Follow along with us!
What is Ghost Touch?
One display issue that affects both older and later iPhone models is ghosted iPhone touch. Your device’s screen will respond when a ghost touch happens even though it is not being touched. As the term implies, “ghost touch” refers to when the iPhone screen responds or does anything on its own even when you don’t touch the screen. Any activity can be carried out by it without your involvement. For instance, it may start or close your apps, message your contacts, call your iPhone, and do many other things.
What causes Ghost touch iPhone?
Do many iPhone users wonder if Ghost touch is a virus? the fact is that there are many factors that can cause this abnormal behavior on iPhones. Some of the common causes include:
- Touch screen replaces: Typically, screen sensitivity and ghosting touch issues are found in some new Apple devices, where their touch screen is replaced or removed during repair.
- Hardware problems: It’s also conceivable that your phone’s hardware is at blame for the issue. In the iPhone settings, select Privacy, then click Diagnostics and Use to identify the hardware issue. There is a list of error logs visible.
- Software errors: Another common reason is a bug in the software such as an iOS update. If there is a bug in the iOS update that can affect the screen sensitivity causing touch ghosting on the iPhone.
- Manufacturing: The Ghost touch can occasionally be traced back to a manufacturing mistake in the digitizer. Errors in factory automation, data analysis, back-office and supply chain applications, and other areas are possible in digitized manufacturing. As if it may potentially ruin the entire program. Therefore, it can result from improper software settings.
How to fix Ghost touch on iPhone?
Before taking your device to a service center for repair, there are some quick fixes you can try at home. Refer to the following ways:
Clean the Screen
If you suddenly have ghost touch problem on your device, one of the common reasons is caused by some debris or dust particles on the phone screen. Because screens are so sensitive, keep them as clean as possible for optimal operation. Turn off the iPhone screen then use a clean cloth, preferably a microfiber cloth, and then gently wipe it in a straight line from one end to the other. Gently wipe until nothing remains on the surface. Note that cleaners containing abrasives or hydrogen peroxide should not be used. You can erode the anti-oil coating that Apple covers on your iPhone’s screen if you do.
Remove screen protector
Screen protectors are thin layers of glass or plastic that you can stick to your iPhone’s touch screen to protect it from scratches or cracks. However, screen protectors can sometimes cause touchscreen problems. This is especially true if there is dirt or air bubbles between the tempered glass protector and the screen, or if the screen protector is misaligned. Cracks in the screen protector can also cause problems, replace your screen protector any time you notice cracks. Use your fingernail to get under one corner of your phone’s screen protector. Pry gently upwards and peel off slowly until it comes off. Wipe the bare phone screen with a microfiber cloth and check if this can fix the ghost touch error.
Remove iPhone’s Case
Your iPhone case’s alignment or shape may impact how sensitive the screen is. Despite manufacturers’ best efforts, there may still be some portions of the cover that touch the sides or edges of the screen on some iPhone models.
Whenever an iPhone crashes, it’s always a good idea to restart it. So you should also apply this method to the ghost touch problem, as it can clear the iPhone’s temporary memory. To restart iPhone, follow the steps for your iPhone model:
- on Iphone X series and newer: Hold the power button with any volume button then drag the slider and wait for the phone to turn off. Wait a moment then turn the device back on by holding down the power button until the Apple logo appears.
- On iPhone 6,7,8: Press and hold the power button until the slider appears. Drag the slider to the right to turn off the power. Once turned off, proceed to press the same button until the Apple logo appears.
Update the operating system
One of the ways to how to fix ghost touch on iphone is to update the operating system. Follow these steps:
- On iPhone, go to Settings and select General
- Tap the Software Update option then select Download and Install.
Disconnect third-party charger and accessories.
Disconnect the accessory and check to see whether the issue still exists if you’re using an iPhone charger or other accessory that isn’t approved by Apple. When connected to your Lightning port, some third-party charging cables, headphone jack adapters, charging cases, and other accessories may result in odd screen movements. If a particular attachment only causes ghosting while it is connected, that accessory might be to blame.
Contact Apple Support
If you’ve tried all of the above and the problem is still not resolved, take your device to the nearest Apple Store for screen repair and replacement. Depending on your iPhone model and warranty, the replacement may even be free.
To sum up, the ghost touch is a common bug in iPhones. Our article has provided some solutions to answer the question “how to fix ghost touch on iphone?” Hope to have helped you to fix unexpected problems on your phone. If you still can’t solve it, it’s best to bring the device to Apple’s service center for advice.